Saturday 7 February 2015

Flirting with felting

I got to enjoy a Christmas present today, BIG thanks to 'im indoors who spotted that our good friend, the lovely Yvette at Starjumparts, was planning on running a couple of workshops for beginner felt makers.

I've been fascinated to see the felts that Yvette can make,  how can something so robust and yet so soft come together from the teasing and squeezing of some fluffy woolly fibres?  It would be a mystery to me no more!  Armed with my lunch, an apron and a towel I set off for East Ham.

Red Door Studios is a former glass works that is now used as studio space...It is a fascinating space as there is something new and interesting to look at in every corner...




Yvette was busy organising all the kit we'd be using....

 

 

I realised I needed to pay attention as they seemed to have a particular way of dealing with misbehaving students...


On with the demo!
Thumbs up and wave to separate the fibres and then lay them (overlapping) on their bubble wrap, towelling and bamboo mat...First one way, then the other and add a decorative something....

 


Then it was our turn....


Mine sort of looked like a squished tribble....

 

Having artfully arranged the fibres,  it was time to wet them together...note the high tech wetting gadeget (milk bottle with holes in the lid)


Then it was a case of gentle rubbing to start ot massage the fibres into one another....


Check for lumpy dry bits standing proud of the surface and rub again!


Then straighten the edges...


My tribble is looking a little flatter and soggier now....


Now for the hard work!  The felt needs to be rolled 200 times in every direction ....north, south, east and west....top side and bottom side....

 

Looking quite different after 400 roles....


and another 400, a rinse and a quick press.....


After a quick bit of lunch it was time to get a bit more adventurous!
Strippy spotty tribble this time....


and I discovered its not easy to take pictures of the felt when making it against the clock as your hands are always wet and soapy....

Don't panic -the spots are on the other side.....


Can't believe these are the left over bits!


and as everyone's appeared from out of the bubble wrap I realised I hadn't been very adventurous!



But I did indulge in some bits to bring home with me; so guess what I'm going to be up to during half term?

1 comment:

  1. Most interesting - I really need to get my poppy kit out and have a go!!! Finished felt looks great - and I just love the massive wooden 'reel' table - did you bring that home?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...