Saturday 26 October 2013

National Honey Show 2013

 I’m ever so slightly excited about today’s National Honey show!  I’ve got a whole day of bee keeping stuff to do!
I’ve booked myself into 2 workshops, one about making beeswax and honey based skin care products and one about stepping up to becoming a commercial bee keeper.  On top of that there’s a whole show worth of stuff to walk through and admire….
So much honey!

 

So many different colours…

 

Some fabulous silverware is on offer for those lucky enough to win their class…


I really must find out what I need to do to win the HJ Wadey trophy…imagine having this sat in your home for the coming year…


There are some cracking contraptions…
Imagine the size of the honey jar you’d need for this Stirrer….


Or you could have your house number made with little holes to offer homes to solitary bees…


I had just about enough time before my first workshop to find my needlework and discover that I’d won !!  Woot!!!
Though with only 2 entries Black-work vs. felt making hardly seems like a fair comparison – I can’t think of any other place where they’d be in the same class up against each other!


So into the first workshop of the day.  Dr Sara Robb and some simple skin care products made from bees wax and assorted other waxes and oils.
Who knew that cocoa butter, bees wax and vegetable oil melted together so easily…

 

And with a quick warm through and simple stir becomes  lip balm

 

Meanwhile, a different combination of wax, this time including emulsifying wax and a big spoon full of honey…

 




Plus some really fast whisking…. Produces emulsification…

 

And if you can manage to control the whisk well enough to NOT splatter the entire work bench with your cream, it gradually turns from the consistency of single cream…to double…to a really light and fluffy hand cream...


All in all I had great fun and came away just in time for lunch with a small collection of bees wax based cosmetics…

 

And a chunk of propolis based soap..lovingly chunked up by teacher…with a gadget that we were all grateful was only going to be used for chopping up soap!

 

After a quick bite to eat I went in search of the honey labels competition.  There was quite a lot more competition in this class than there had been for the needlework, 19 entries to be precise.  But even so, I was disappointed to find that my label hadn’t even got a “commended”.  :(

Fair play to those that were placed though, they all dealt with those pesky regulations in their own way!

 

 

 

The afternoon’s workshop was all about stepping up from hobby bee keeper to commercial production.  Dan Basterfield told the tales- warts and all – I got the feeling some of the lessons learnt had bee learnt the hard way by Dan.  No photos but plenty to think about on the short drive home…not least of which is where to put the required minimum of 20 hives to get myself on the first rung of the ladder , associate bee farmer, ready to build to a minimum of 40 hives within 2 years of that date!

I think I’d better start with making sure I have enough honey to actually enter Honey in the show next year! - With MY Favourite Label !


EDIT:  
Couldn't resist sharing my rather smart certificate !!   SQUEEEE!!!!



1 comment:

  1. Well done H, great Black Work - I hope this will now be hung in a hive for the bees to enjoy!!!! I also look forward to being 'the animal you test on' for your new range of cosmetics!!! And next year a trophy .....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...