Saturday 20 July 2013

Ruby bounty......


This evening brought some unexpected bounty...


A trip to the hives on the allotment ended with the opportunity to pick some beautiful red currants from a neighbour's allotment.  And having picked and washed them there followed the tricky task of de-skalking them. Look how many I've done already...

...and how many there are still swimming in the bowl...... I think I may be here some time...
Maybe there are more in the pot and less in the bowl now...

 

Oh look.... NOW I can see the bottom of the bowl!!!


Time to cook them slowly and gently so the skins burst and let all the juices out...


Then its just a case of being patient over night...

 

Whilst all those lovely juices drip through....


At this point I need to remind myself that this is red currant juice and I am not a vampire...
Time to add some sugar and cook it to its setting point.  Gotta love how the roiling boil just suddenly comes together...

 

and suddenly Ta-dah a whole pot of red currant jelly...


Time to pot it in jars...


From bush to jar of bounty in less than 24 hours...Thats gotta be a record!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...