Monday 17 June 2013

So where are the bees? - part 2

Two swarms of honey bees in 4 days is no fun for anyone  :(

When the phone call came at 4pm that yet again there was a swarm of bees in a neighbour's garden my heart sank right down into my shoes. 'im indoors had agreed to 3 hives at the bottom of the garden.  I'd already created a fourth two weeks ago in an effort to stop my biggest colony from swarming... that plan had clearly not worked and I'd introduced hive #5 only 4 days earlier from my first swarm...

Still first things first....find the swarm and work out how to get to it...


Oooh-err it looks like quite a big one...


If in doubt borrow a second ladder from another willing neighbour and brace your first ladder with it...
Then remind 'im indoors that if the box of bees falls on his head without his bee suit on he won't be a pretty sight in the morning (!)

 

The things that poor man does for love...


Once the bulk of them are in the box, hopefully with the queen... the others fly in to join them really quite quickly...


Now to find a proper home for them...



1 comment:

  1. Oooo Helen, I hope they stay put this time - a little bit of cellotape on the hive maybe!!! :0

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...