Monday 27 August 2012

And then there were jars!

One of the joys of internet shopping has got to be when the cardboard boxes arrive during the day and are waiting on the door step when you get in from work.  Especially when you've ordered a few things from different places and you really aren't quite sure what order the boxes are going to turn up in! The first one to arrive this week was the honey settling tank, so of course it had to be commandeered into action as soon it was clean...


The whole bucket needs to settle so that any remaining bits of bees wax and pollen can rise to the surface with the air bubbles as the honey ripens...


So I'd better pour the whole lot in there...


Yup...the whole lot...nearly there...


Including scraping all the last sticky bits...

The second excitement of the week was this box...Truly I must be getting sooooo middle aged if I get this excited over a cardboard box...


But look at the loveliness it contained...

 

 

Now left to my own devices I'd have had the honey in those jars quicker than you could say "put the lid on that" but I really don't fancy hearing 'im indoors whinging at me as he picks bits of beeswax out of his teeth for the next few months so this padawan bee keeper needs to keep practicing patience and leaving the honey to settle.  Besides what else could I possibly do with the end of a bank holiday Monday?

So after the honey has settled for 5 days...its finally time to get the clean honey jars lined up...


Time to check how much scummy stuff there is on top...



Then its just a case of opening the tap and catching the steady stream in the jar...


The Official FIRST JAR of MY HONEY!...


Thankfully it also has a few friends....don't they look lovely?
If you breathe in deeply you can probably smell them...


Don't think I'll be winning any prizes in the honey show for clarity, maybe next year ( by then I may have perfected the art of patience...

 

What more could a girl want from a bank holiday?

1 comment:

  1. WEEEELLLLL DONE HELEN! Congratulations on your first batch ..... may there be many many more! Hope you had some with your breakfast over the bank holiday! Ps. Thanks foe letting me dip my finger in the empty bucket Wed.....I can tell you all it was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...